Class Warfare: Inside the Fight to Fix America's Schools by Steven Brill (CD-Audio, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $18.21Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by the_nile
- See details for delivery est.
Nearly newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $28.95+ AU $7.95 postage
- Like new condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn a reporting tour de force, award-winning journalist Steven Brill takes an uncompromising look at the adults who are fighting over America s failure to educate its children and points the way to reversing that failure. Brill s vivid narrative filled with unexpected twists and turns takes us from the Oval Office, where President Obama signs off on an unprecedented plan that will infuriate the teachers unions because it offers billions to states that win an education reform contest; to boisterous assemblies, where parents join the fight over their children s schools; to a Fifth Avenue apartment, where billionaires plan a secret fund to promote school reform; to a Colorado high school, where students who seemed destined to fail are instead propelled to college; to state capitols across the country, where school reformers hoping to win Obama s contest push bills that would have been unimaginable a few years ago. It s the story of an unlikely army fed-up public school parents, Ivy League idealists, hedge-funders, civil rights activists, conservative Republicans, insurgent Democrats squaring off against unions that the reformers claim are protecting a system that works for the adults but victimizes the children. Class Warfare is filled with extraordinary people taking extraordinary paths: a young woman who goes into teaching almost by accident, then becomes so talented and driven that fighting burut becomes her biggest challenge; an antitrust lawyer who almost brought down Bill Gates s Microsoft and w forms a partnership with Bill and Melinda Gates to overhaul New York s schools; a naive Princeton student who launches an army of school reformers with her senior thesis; a California teachers union lobbyist who becomes the mayor of Los Angeles and then the union s prime antagonist; a stubborn young teacher who, as a child growing up on Park Avenue, had been assumed to be learning disabled but ends up co-founding the nation s most successful charter schools; and an anguished national union leader who walks a tightrope between compromising eugh to save her union and giving in so much that her members will throw her out. Brill t only takes us inside their roller-coaster battles, he also concludes with a surprising prescription for what it will take from both sides to put the American dream back in America s schools.
- Author(s)Steven Brill
- PublisherBrilliance Audio
- Date of Publication09/06/2015
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrilliance Audio
- Weight68 g
- Width135 mm
- Height170 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Read byL J Ganser
- Format DetailsMP3 format
- Running Time960
Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $93.78Trending at AU $97.35
- AU $20.36Trending at AU $34.89
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $64.96
- AU $39.98Trending at AU $41.77
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $36.56
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.24
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $45.04
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.