All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe summation of more than two thousand years of one of the world's most august literary traditions, this volume also represents the achievements of four hundred years of Western scholarship on China. The selections include poetry, drama, fiction, songs, biographies, and works of early Chinese philosophy and history rendered in English by the most rewned translators of classical Chinese literature: Arthur Waley, Ezra Pound, David Hawkes, James Legge, Burton Watson, Stephen Owen, Cyril Birch, A. C. Graham, Witter Bynner, Kenneth Rexroth, and others. Arranged chrologically and by genre, each chapter is introduced by definitive quotes and brief introductions chosen from classic Western silogical treatises. Beginning with discussions of the origins of the Chinese writing system and selections from the earliest genre of Chinese literature-the Oracle Bone inscriptions-the book then proceeds with selections from: * early myths and legends; * the earliest anthology of Chinese poetry, the Book of Songs; * early narrative and philosophy, including the I Ching, Tao-te Ching, and the Analects of Confucius; * rhapsodies, historical writings, magical biographies, ballads, poetry, and miscellaneous prose from the Han and Six Dynasties period; * the court poetry of the Southern Dynasties; * the finest gems of Tang poetry; and * lyrics, stories, and tales of the Sui, Tang, and Five Dynasties eras. Special highlights include individual chapters covering each of the luminaries of Tang poetry: Wang Wei, Li Bo, Du Fu, and Bo Juyi; early literary criticism; women poets from the first to the tenth century C.E.; and the poetry of Zen and the Tao. Bibliographies, explanatory tes, copious illustrations, a chrology of major dynasties, and two-way romanization tables coordinating the Wade-Giles and pinyin transliteration systems provide helpful tools to aid students, teachers, and general readers in exploring this rich tradition of world literature.
- Author BiographyJohn Minford is professor of Chinese at Hong Kong Polytechnic University. Jospeph S. M. Lau is professor of translation and head of the department of Chinese at Lingnan University in Hong Kong.
- PublisherColumbia University Press
- Date of Publication06/03/2002
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintColumbia University Press
- Content Note105 illus
- Weight1589 g
- Width226 mm
- Height157 mm
- Spine59 mm
- Edited byJohn Minford,Joseph S. M. Lau
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.