All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis three-part anthology presents Classical Judaism in accord with its native categories, Torah, learning, and virtue. These correspond to the categories that a religious system will define for itself: world view, way of life, and theory of the social order that maintains the view and realizes it in its shared existence. By presenting substantial samples of the writings of that Judaism, the three volumes afford direct access to the way in which, in its own words, that Judaism makes its statement. Readers are introduced through extensive selections to the character of Judaism through the kinds of writing that serve as its medium - Midrash, Mishnah, Talmud, stories about sages. The first part of the anthology speaks of the Torah, meaning, the written Torah and how it is read in Scripture. The second addresses the Mishnah, that is, the first document of the oral Torah, and further introduces the Talmuds and explains how these are to be read. Both of these volumes begin with essays on hermeneutics. The third volume sets forth the way in which the sage is represented as a medium through which the Torah of Sinai is set forth.
- Author BiographyThe Author: Jacob Neusner is Distinguished Professor of Religious Studies at the University of South Florida a Life Member of Clare Hall, Cambridge University, and Member of the Institute of Advanced Study, Princeton. He is one of the leading scholars of ancient Judaism.
- Author(s)Jacob Neusner
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication01/09/1993
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Series TitleRealms of Judaism S.
- Series Part/Volume Numberv. 37
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published1993
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Weight420 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.65New
- AU $93.38Used
- AU $93.38New
- AU $101.47New
- AU $80.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.00
- AU $22.76Trending at AU $23.86
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.54
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.44
- AU $39.15Trending at AU $50.24
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.12
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.