All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book provides practitioners and scholars with a number of practical tools for studying and implementing democratic learning processes within schools, and theorizes these tools in relation to current developmental learning and democratic theory. Three dimensions of kwledge are framed - foundational, expert, and personal - and the place of each in the construction of democratic classroom understandings is explored. Based on a two-part analysis of the roles students played in a number of pedagogically diverse classroom discussions, three different forms of learning experience are then presented - teacher-led, student-led, and co-led learning. While all three forms of learning experience are seen as valuable to a fully realized democratic pedagogy, each form is shown to possess a distinctive set of affordances and constraints in relation to the many varied challenges involved in fostering children's academic growth and learning.
- Author BiographySusan Jean Mayer received her doctorate in education from Harvard University and currently lectures at Brandeis and Northeastern Universities. Her published articles have treated a range of issues related to democratic PK-12 practice and social science methods. Mayer is managing editor of the Journal of the American Association for the Advancement of Curriculum Studies and founding vice-president of the non-profit Critical Explorers, which conducts inquiry-based curricular research and design residencies within urban middle schools (criticalexplorers.org).
- Author(s)Susan Jean Mayer
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication29/02/2012
- SubjectLanguage Learning (other than ELT)
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight440 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Edition Statement2nd New edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.10Trending at AU $23.51
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.22
- AU $87.99Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.