Clear and Simple as the Truth: Writing Classic Prose by Mark Turner, Francis-Noel Thomas (Paperback, 2011)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $33.87Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $37.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor more than a decade, Clear and Simple as the Truth has guided readers to consider style t as an elegant accessory of effective prose but as its very heart. Francis-Noel Thomas and Mark Turner present writing as an intellectual activity, t a passive application of verbal skills. In classic style, the motive is truth, the purpose is presentation, the reader and writer are intellectual equals, and the occasion is informal. This general style of presentation is at home everywhere, from business memos to personal letters and from magazine articles to student essays. Everyone talks about style, but one explains it. The authors of this book do; and in doing so, they provoke the reader to consider style, t as an elegant accessory of effective prose, but as its very heart. At a time when writing skills have virtually disappeared, what can be done? If only people learned the principles of verbal correctness, the essential rules, wouldn't good prose simply fall into place? Thomas and Turner say . Attending to rules of grammar, sense, and sentence structure will more lead to effective prose than kwing the mechanics of a golf swing will lead to a hole-in-one. Furthermore, ten-step programs to better writing exacerbate the problem by failing to recognize, as Thomas and Turner point out, that there are many styles with different standards. The book is divided into four parts. The first, Principles of Classic Style, defines the style and contrasts it with a number of others. The Museum is a guided tour through examples of writing, both exquisite and execrable. The Studio, new to this edition, presents a series of structured exercises. Finally, Further Readings in Classic Prose offers a list of additional examples drawn from a range of times, places, and subjects. A companion website, classicprose.com, offers supplementary examples, exhibits, and commentary, and features a selection of pieces written by students in courses that used Clear and Simple as the Truth as a textbook.
- Author BiographyFrancis-Noel Thomas is professor emeritus of humanities at Truman College, City Colleges of Chicago. Mark Turner is Institute Professor and professor of cognitive science at Case Western Reserve University.
- Author(s)Francis-Noel Thomas,Mark Turner
- PublisherPrinceton University Press
- Date of Publication28/02/2011
- SubjectStudy Skills & General Studies: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPrinceton University Press
- Content Note1 line illus.
- Weight371 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.69Trending at AU $111.84
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.50
- AU $35.45Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.50
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.12
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $51.98Trending at AU $53.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.