All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $32.78Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $31.98Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $13.01Trending at AU $16.66
- AU $33.34Trending at AU $36.06
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
About this product
- DescriptionThis book takes the reader on a fascinating journey through the exciting and dangerous world of Australian Clearance Divers - the Navy's Frogmen. Trained in all forms of military diving, weapons handling, explosive ordnance disposal (EOD), sabotage, explosive demolitions, improvised explosive devices (IEDs), combat swimming, ship attack, counter terrorism, covert tactical operations and numerous other military skill sets, these sailors are the elite of the Royal Australian Navy. From one of the most mentally and physically demanding training regimes in the military world, to diving the most beautiful reefs in the South Pacific, to bomb disposal in the steamy war torn jungles of South Vietnam and beyond, the author takes us along on an intriguing journey covering his 20 year career. This is the world of an Australian Navy CLEARANCE DIVER.
- Author BiographyThe author joined the Royal Australian Navy in 1965 and spent the following 20 years as a Clearance Diver, retiring as a senior Chief Petty Officer in 1985. His brothers, Mike and David and his son Jason all joined the ranks of Navy Frogmen thus making 4 members of the Ey family to serve as Clearance Divers. Career highlights included; being a member of the 8th and final Clearance Diving Team to serve in South Vietnam during 1970 & 1971. 12 months as senior Demolitions Instructor in the RAN and numerous postings to operational diving teams. Personnel Exchange Program with the USN based in Hawaii from 1977 to 1980. diving in such magnificent locations as the Great Barrier Reef, Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, Truk lagoon, Kwajalein, Hawaii and the Caribbean. obtaining a US Pilot's Licence. qualifying for US Navy Parachute wings at Lakehurst, New Jersey. several SPECWAREXs with US Special forces. After leaving the Navy he worked for a short time in the southern United States demolishing bridges using specialised explosive techniques and on returning to Australia, was employed by Dupont Explosives as their Specialty Blasting Manager (during this period he developed a commercial 'shaped charge' for Dupont which was patented worldwide) and afterwards had a business in Hanoi, Vietnam, until his retirement in 1997. The author holds both US and Australian Pilot licenses with multi-engine endorsements. His hobbies include writing, international travel, photography, spending time in the Queensland 'Outback' and riding his Harleys in both Queensland and the western United States.
- Author(s)Tony Ey
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication15/07/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight399 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Most relevant reviews
- mnay929422 Dec, 2016by
Bought for my father who was also a clearance diver. He loved it. Knew the author and said it brought back lots of memories.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.