All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionClimate change is anticipated to raise global sea levels, and also impact on the frequency and intensity of storm surge and erosion events. These events pose a serious threat to the Australian population, with many communities located in low-lying coastal areas. These events also give rise to a number of complicated legal issues. Law and policy-makers need to develop effective adaptation approaches that involve planning for new coastal developments while also addressing the risks to existing settlements. This poses complex questions spanning planning and property law, and also gives rise to legal liability risks. The purpose of this book is to provide a comprehensive analysis of the various legal issues that are likely to arise in Australia as governments search for the most effective way to adapt to the projected impacts of sea-level rise. Fundamentally, the book is about legal risk management, because regardless of what action or inaction governments take, it is likely that there will be ecomic consequences. The book explores how legal risks can be managed, and what legal approaches can be implemented to reduce the likely ecomic impacts and spread them across time. It also considers the evolving role of the insurance industry in supplementing government action.
- Author BiographyJustine Bell is a Lecturer at the TC Beirne School of Law, teaching undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the areas of environmental law and climate change law. Justine obtained a PhD from Queensland University of Technology in 2010, and was awarded an ARC-funded Postdoctoral Fellowship in 2011. She undertook her postdoctoral research at the Global Change Institute at The University of Queensland, focusing on legal, policy and insurance responses to sea-level rise. Her main area of research interest is climate change adaptation law, as well as environmental, planning and property law. She is also particularly interested in multidisciplinary approaches to these issues, and has collaborated widely with researchers from science.
- Author(s)Justine Bell
- PublisherFederation Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectNational Law: Professional
- Place of PublicationAnnandale, NSW
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintFederation Press
- Weight344 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.91Trending at AU $62.69
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.05
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.90
- AU $50.09Trending at AU $52.96
- AU $35.29Trending at AU $36.57
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.74
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.