All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough the injunction Kw thyself was inscribed over the site of the Delphic Oracle, the concept is of much more ancient lineage. Thousands of years ago, the wise men of the East had learned to exert authority over a broad range of bodily experiences and functions using techniques that are still taught today. But it is only in the past few decades that the West has become aware once again of the range of control that the central nervous system can maintain over sensation and body function. Medicine has moved slowly in integrating these concepts into the classic medical model of disease despite a growing body of evidence that links emotional state, thought, and imagery to immucompetence, tissue healing, and bodily vigor. It is precisely the role of a volume such as this, reflecting a fascinating conference in Munich, to emphasize and reemphasize these ideas. We are fortunately well beyond the sterile behaviorism of Watson with its com- plete negation of the significance of mental operations. But many still consider suspect those forces and mechanisms, however powerful, that seem to originate from brain-mind activity. The chapters in this book, with their emphases on the mind-body continuum as a bridge to self- regulation and health, provide a modern School of Athens in bringing these concepts to wider acquaintance.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication03/05/2013
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Series TitleSpringer Series in Behavioral Psychophysiology and Medicine
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, bibliography
- Weight430 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byA. Ronald Seifert,John G. Carlson,Niels Birbaumer
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1994
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.77New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.18Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.