All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA heartbreaking, wildly inventive, and moving vel narrated by a teenage runaway, from the bestselling author of Midwives and The Sandcastle Girls. Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands is the story of Emily Shepard, a homeless teen living in an igloo made of ice and trash bags filled with frozen leaves. Half a year earlier, a nuclear plant in Vermont's Northeast Kingdom had experienced a cataclysmic meltdown, and both of Emily's parents were killed. Devastatingly, her father was in charge of the plant, and the meltdown may have been his fault. Was he drunk when it happened? Thousands of people are forced to flee their homes in the Kingdom; rivers and forests are destroyed; and Emily feels certain that as the daughter of the most hated man in America, she is in danger. So instead of following the social workers and her classmates after the meltdown, Emily takes off on her own for Burlington, where she survives by stealing, sleeping on the floor of a drug dealer's apartment, and inventing a new identity for herself -- an identity inspired by her favorite poet, Emily Dickinson. When Emily befriends a young homeless boy named Cameron, she protects him with a ferocity she didn't kw she had. But she still can't outrun her past, can't escape her grief, can't hide forever and so she comes up with the only plan that she can. A story of loss, adventure, and the search for friendship in the wake of catastrophe, Close Your Eyes, Hold Hands is one of Chris Bohjalian s finest vels to date breathtaking, wise, and utterly transporting.
- Author BiographyCHRIS BOHJALIAN is the critically acclaimed author of seventeen books, including the New York Times bestsellers The Sandcastle Girls, Skeletons at the Feast, The Double Bind, and Midwives. His novel Midwives was a number one New York Times bestseller and a selection of Oprah's Book Club. His work has been translated into more than twenty-five languages, and three of his novels have become movies ( Secrets of Eden, Midwives, and Past the Bleachers ). He lives in Vermont with his wife and daughter. Visit him at www.chrisbohjalian.com or on Facebook.
- Author(s)Chris Bohjalian
- PublisherRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Date of Publication08/07/2014
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Audio Publishing Group
- Weight254 g
- Width126 mm
- Height155 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Read byGrace Blewer
- Contained items statement7 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time510
Best-selling in Audio Books
- AU $46.47New
- AU $24.95New
- AU $31.69New
- AU $14.60New
Save on Audio Books
- AU $47.29Trending at AU $51.38
- AU $38.88Trending at AU $47.55
- AU $18.49Trending at AU $20.32
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $36.13
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $37.13
- AU $22.68Trending at AU $24.22
- AU $12.02Trending at AU $22.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.