All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionClose to the Machine: Techphilia and Its Discontents, Ellen Ullman's cult classic memoir of the world of computers in the 1980s and early 1990s, is an insight of a world we rarely see up close. Astonishing...impossible to put down San Francisco Chronicle We see the seduction at the heart of programming: embedded in the hijinks and hieroglyphics are the esoteric mysteries of the human mind - Wired Close to the Machine has become a cult classic: Ellen Ullman's humane, insightful, and beautifully written memoir explores the ever-complicating intersections between people and techlogy; the strange ecstasies of programming; the messiness of life and the artful efficiency of code. It is a deeply personal, prescient account of working at the forefront of computing. With a new introduction by Jaron Lanier, author of You Are Not a Gadget By turns hilarious and sobering, this slim gem of a book chronicles the Silicon Valley way of life...full of delicately profound insights into work, money, love, and the search for a life that matters - Newsweek Ellen Ullman's Close to the Machine, a memoir of her time as a software engineer during the early years of the internet revolution, became a cult classic and established her as a writer of considerable talent; with her second book, The Bug, she became an acclaimed and vital velist; By Blood is her third. All three titles are published in the UK by Pushkin Press. Her essays and opinion pieces have been widely published in venues such as Harper's, The New York Times, Salon, and Wired. She lives in San Francisco.
- Author BiographyEllen Ullman's Close to the Machine, a memoir of her time as a software engineer during the early years of the internet revolution, became a cult classic and established her as a writer of considerable talent; with her second book, The Bug, she became an acclaimed and vital novelist; By Blood is her third. She lives in San Francisco.
- Author(s)Ellen Ullman
- PublisherPushkin Press
- Date of Publication14/03/2013
- SubjectAutobiography: Business
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPushkin Press
- Width129 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.