All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCoal, the nation's most abundant fossil fuel and the only one that is exported, represents one of our most valuable natural resources. This study undertakes a thorough review of the ecomics of the Appalachian coal industry. It establishes, first of all, the international framework within which the American and the Appalachian coal industry function. It next examines the underlying principles that govern the production of and the demand for coal. This demand is influenced t only by price but also by world politics, the ecomic well-being of dozens of countries, government regulation, and the availability of fuel substitutes. Included are a comprehensive treatment of the regulation of the industry, the effects of coal utilization on air quality, land reclamation, safety, transport, and legislation pertaining to port use. In conclusion, Harvey looks at the prospects for Appalachian coal, considering the impact of techlogies such as fluidized bed combustion and coal-water slurry and the issue of energy policy and fuel alternatives. The picture that emerges is t unexpected -- an industry whose recovery and enduring health depend on resurgence of world and domestic ecomic activity, social and political stability, and government regulation.
- Author BiographyCurtis E. Harvey is emeritus professor of economics at the University of Kentucky.
- Author(s)Curtis E. Harvey
- PublisherThe University Press of Kentucky
- Date of Publication30/10/1986
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationLexington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe University Press of Kentucky
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width152 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.46New
- AU $7.03New
- AU $20.24New
- AU $33.17New
- AU $30.27New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $43.28
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $30.27
- AU $61.61Trending at AU $62.90
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.58
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $30.72
- AU $28.34Trending at AU $30.17
- AU $25.42Trending at AU $25.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.