All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $62.46
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $72.91
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $30.05Trending at AU $40.13
- AU $14.93Trending at AU $22.05
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.06
- AU $26.84Trending at AU $29.51
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the very beginning, filmmakers have struggled to free themselves from censorship and manipulation by special-interest groups, and this struggle is clearly evident in the history of drug films. Cocaine Fiends and Reefer Madness is an exhaustive exploration of the history of the depiction of psychoactive drugs in motion pictures from Thomas Edison's Opium Smoker (1894) to Cocaine Cowboys (1978), Included are over 400 silent and 1,000 sound films as well as nearly 500 drug-abuse films, 85 experimental films, and 135 television programs. More than 150 stills, most never before published and many extremely rare, illustrate the text. Arranged chrologically as well as by drug type and often by country, this book shows that, far from being a recent phemen, drug films were made in nearly every country and period that produced a significant body of films. Visit Edison's first film studio, reflect on the filmic consequences of Cocteau's opium addiction with Kenneth Anger's early experiences with magic mushrooms, see Charles Laughton smuggling cocaine inside a statute of the Buddha, and watch Douglas Fairbanks, Sr., consuming vast quantities of opium and cocaine in a World War I Sherlock Holmes parody.
- Author BiographyMichael Starks is a medical technologist, inventor, entrepreneur, psychedelic voyager, world traveler, stereoscopic videographer and philosopher. He holds several patents and lives in Henderson, NV.
- Author(s)Michael Starks
- PublisherRonin Publishing
- Date of Publication28/05/2015
- SubjectFilm, TV & Radio
- Place of PublicationBerkeley, CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRonin Publishing
- Weight1043 g
- Width203 mm
- Height251 mm
- Spine18 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.