All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the French Camargue-the delta surrounding the mouth of the Rhone River and part of the southern nation of Occitania-the bull is a powerful icon of nationalism, literature, and culture. How this came to be-how the Camargue bull came to confront the French cock, venerable symbol of a unified and republican France-is the story told in this ingenious study. Robert Zaretsky considers how in fin-de-siecle France the young writer Folco de Baroncelli, inspired by the history of the American West, in particular the fate of the Oglala Sioux and other Native American peoples, reinvented the history of Occitania. Galvanized by the example set by Buffalo Bill Cody, Baroncelli recast the Camargue as le far-west of France, creating the immemorial traditions he battled to protect. Zaretsky's study examines the creative tension between center and periphery in the making of modern France: just as the political and intellectual elite of the Third Republic invented a certain kind of France, so too did a coterie of southern writers, including Baroncelli, invent a certain kind of Camargue. The story of how the Camargue bull challenged the French cock in this ideological and cultural Wild West deepens our appreciation of the complex dynamic that has created contemporary France.
- Author BiographyRobert Zaretsky is an associate professor in the Honors College and Department of Modern and Classical Languages at the University of Houston and the author of Nimes at War: Religion, Politics, and Public Opinion in the Department of the Gard, 1938-1944.
- Author(s)Robert Zaretsky
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note1
- Weight331 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.65New
- AU $20.61New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $3.99Trending at AU $7.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.72Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.30Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $32.36
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.