All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOne of the largest food commodities exported from the developing countries to the rest of the world, cocoa has gained increasing attention on the global market-raising many questions about its quality, sustainability and traceability. Cocoa Production and Processing Techlogy presents detailed explanations of the techlogies that could be employed to assure sustainable production of high-quality and safe cocoa beans for the global confectionary industry. It provides overviews of up-to-date techlogies and approaches to modern cocoa production practices, global production and consumption trends as well as principles of cocoa processing and chocolate manufacture. The book covers the origin, history and taxomy of cocoa, and examines the fairtrade and organic cocoa industries and their influence on smallholder farmers. The chapters provide in-depth coverage of cocoa cultivation, harvesting and post-harvest treatments with a focus on cocoa bean composition, getypic variations and their influence on quality, post-harvest pre-treatments, fermentation techniques, drying, storage and transportation. The author provides details on cocoa fermentation processes as well as the biochemical and microbiological changes involved and how they influence flavour. He also addresses cocoa trading systems, bean selection and quality criteria, as well as industrial processing of fermented and dried cocoa beans into liquor, cake, butter and powder. The book examines the general principles of chocolate manufacture, detailing the various stages of the processes involved, the factors that influence the quality characteristics and strategies to avoid post-processing quality defects. This volume presents invative techniques for sustainability and traceability in high-quality cocoa production and explores new product development with potential for cost reduction as well as improved cocoa bean and chocolate product quality.
- Author BiographyEmmanuel Ohene Afoakwa, PhD, is an associate professor in food science in the Department of Nutrition and Food Science, University of Ghana. He holds a PhD in food science from the University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK. He has vast relevant experience in food science and technology and international food laws and regulations, and he is an expert in cocoa and chocolate technology. Dr. Afoakwa has authored and co-authored 160 publications (including 70 peer-reviewed journal publications, 4 books, 4 book chapters, 2 encyclopaedia chapters and 80 conference presentations with published abstracts) in food science and technology, food and nutrition security and school feeding programmes.
- Author(s)Emmanuel Ohene Afoakwa
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication26/02/2014
- SubjectIndustrial Chemistry & Manufacturing
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note130 black & white illustrations, 36 black & white tables
- Weight680 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $89.84
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $34.84
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.37
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $34.59
- AU $39.51Trending at AU $40.01
- AU $40.67Trending at AU $41.16
- AU $36.57Trending at AU $37.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.