All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCodex Sinaiticus is one of the most important books in the world. Handwritten well over 1600 years ago, the manuscript contains the Christian Bible in Greek, including the oldest complete copy of the New Testament. Its heavily corrected text is of outstanding importance for the history of the Bible and the manuscript - the oldest substantial book to survive antiquity - is of supreme importance for the history of the book. This collection of scholarly essays constitutes an important reappraisal of the history of the manuscript. Newly discovered archival material sheds light on the complex sequence of events which led to the Codex being dispersed across four libraries. The evidence relating to the production of the manuscript is assessed by several contributors, who pay careful attention to the thousands of corrections which were made to the text by several hands. The significance of Codex Sinaiticus for our understanding of the New Testament text is analysed in detail, with a number of articles showing how the manuscript helps us to understand the formation of the Christian can in antiquity. This volume provides an excellent starting point for those new to the world of late antique Christianity or Biblical textual criticism, a worthy resource for scholars already working in the field, and an illuminating guide for the general reader.
- Author BiographyScot McKendrick is Head of History and Classics at the British Library. David Parker is Edward Cadbury Professor of Theology and Director of the Institute for Textual Scholarship and Electronic Editing at the University of Birmingham. Amy Myshrall is a researcher at the Institute for Textual Scholarship and Electronic Editing at the University of Birmingham. Cillian O'Hogan is Curator of Classical and Byzantine Studies at the British Library.
- PublisherThe British Library Publishing Division
- Date of Publication04/06/2015
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe British Library Publishing Division
- Width172 mm
- Height244 mm
- Edited byAmy Myshrall,Cillian O'Hogan,David Parker,Scot McKendrick
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $99.95
- AU $85.90Trending at AU $90.74
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $100.17
- AU $64.63Trending at AU $68.59
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $99.90Trending at AU $101.25
- AU $95.00Trending at AU $98.79
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.