All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPhemelogy is about subjective aspects of the mind, such as the conscious states associated with vision and touch, and the conscious states associated with emotions and moods, such as feelings of elation or sadness. These states have a distinctive first-person 'feel' to them, called their phemenal character. In this respect they are often taken to be radically different from mental states and processes associated with thought. This is the first book to fully question this orthodoxy and explore the prospects of cognitive phemelogy, applying phemelogy to the study of thought and cognition. Does cognition have its own phemenal character? Can introspection tell us either way? If consciousness flows in an unbroken 'stream' as William James argued, how might a punctuated sequence of thoughts fit into it? Elijah Chudff begins with a clarification of the nature of the debate about cognitive phemelogy and the network of concepts and theses that are involved in it. He then examines the following topics: * introspection and kwledge of our own thoughts * phemenal contrast arguments * the value of consciousness * the temporal structure of experience * the holistic character of experience and the interdependence of sensory and cognitive states * the relationship between phemenal character and mental representation. Including chapter summaries, antated further reading, and a glossary, this book is essential reading for anyone seeking a clear and informative introduction to and assessment of cognitive phemelogy, whether philosophy student or advanced researcher. It will also be valuable reading for those in related subjects such as philosophy of mind, philosophy of psychology and epistemology.
- Author BiographyElijah Chudnoff is Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Miami, USA. He is the author of Intuition (2013).
- Author(s)Elijah Chudnoff
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/03/2015
- Series TitleNew Problems of Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight294 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine11 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $34.94
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $26.86
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.