All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPraise for Cognitive Psychodynamics ... It is refreshing to encounter an integrative reframing of the current status of psychodynamic theory and practice...Professor Horowitz lays out a [clear] approach to assessment and psychotherapy ...livened by brief, effective case studies. --Jerome L. Singer, Professor of Psychology and Child Study Center, Yale University And other titles by the same author ...Mardi Horowitz has gone where others fear to tread ...[by] blending traditional psychodynamic concepts with cognitive psychology and neuroscience. The result is a relatively accessible and sensible primer of mental structure and function. --Robert Waldinger, M.D., on Introduction to Psychodynamics: A New Synthesis Horowitz' revised volume must be considered the definitive work in the area. The bibliography is comprehensive, and the scholarship is superb. --Glen Gabbard, M.D., on Image Formation and Psychotherapy Cognitive Psychodynamics offers an important new integration of cognitive science and psychodynamic psychology that provides a common language across disciplines while presenting an explicit theoretical basis for understanding the processes that bring about change. Written by Mardi J. Horowitz, one of the world's leading psychological theoreticians, this trailblazing work provides an analysis of both conscious and unconscious mental processes and the development of identity and relationships. The book is organized around three theoretical constructs: states of mind; defensive control processes used to regulate emotion; and person schemas, the cognitive maps that organize patterns of relationships and identity. Initial chapters present the information processing of emotional themes. The book then addresses how people form a meaningful identity during development and how they deal with the conflict between self-striving and responsibility to others. Starting with smaller systems that represent ideas and feelings, the material builds toward larger systems that tackle complex issues such as the nature of identity, the basis of attachments to others, and why maladaptive relationship cycles get repeated despite their destructive nature. Bridging the gap between theory and clinical practice, the book addresses crucial concepts of change -- how people become self-aware, how enhanced awareness can lead to insight, and how insight can lead to new decisions that can alter fundamental attitudes and lead to adaptive changes in behavioral patterns. Interesting case examples anchor theory to observable human predicaments, and to concrete ways in which change can occur. Cognitive Psychodynamics offers an original perspective on issues of emotional conflict and character development that will be welcomed by psychologists, psychiatrists, researchers, and scholars, as well as professors and students in the behavioral and social sciences.
- Author BiographyMARDI J. HOROWITZ, M.D., is Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California-San Francisco and Director of the Center on Stress and Personality at the Langley Porter Psychiatric Institute. A recognized authority on theory building in psychodynamics, Dr. Horowitz is the author of an influential series of clinical works. His books include Stress Response Syndromes, States of Mind, Person Schemas and Maladaptive Interpersonal Patterns, Hysterical Personality Style and the Histrionic Personality Disorder, and Formulation as a Basis for Planning Psychotherapy.
- Author(s)Mardi Jon Horowitz
- PublisherJohn Wiley and Sons Ltd
- Date of Publication20/05/1998
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohn Wiley & Sons Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight514 g
- Width165 mm
- Height239 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $18.30Trending at AU $24.34
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.77Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $16.90Trending at AU $20.15
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.