Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $32.01Trending at AU $36.67
- AU $47.84Trending at AU $48.79
- AU $32.52Trending at AU $40.62
- AU $30.41Trending at AU $31.22
- AU $27.74Trending at AU $29.88
- AU $24.19Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $26.56Trending at AU $29.34
About this product
- DescriptionOnce regarded as the capital of Roman Britain, the town of Colchester has witnessed many events and seen many changes during its long history. This book describes the town's history from early Celtic origins and Roman settlement, through civil war and plague, Victorian enterprise and social reform, to the growth of industry and modern Colchester during the twentieth century. Despite the tremendous amount of new building work undertaken in the town, there remains an interesting mix of old and new. The book includes a walking tour of the town that starts and finishes at the War Memorial and guides the reader to places of historical interest in and around the town centre. It can be referred to independently of the main text of the book and enables both resident and visitor alike to embark on a journey into Colchester's past through its existing streets and buildings.
- Author BiographyPatrick Denney is a leading researcher of Colchester's history. He is local history correspondent for the East Anglian Daily Times and a well-known local and family history tutor, as well as a Blue Badge Guide. His previous publications by The History Press include Colchester in the Images of England series and Colchester Voices.
- Author(s)Patrick Denney
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2004
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTempus Publishing Ltd
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight450 g
- Width172 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.