All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a new collection from a well-loved poet of suburbia, families, workplaces, ordinary life. The stunning first section explores the pains and pleasures (mostly the pains) of becoming a schoolteacher in midlife. The second section, 'televisioner', is a single long sequence that views the over-confident 1980s from the unlikely perspective of a receptionist for a television station. The poet plays with the news and the people and stories behind the news, remembering the Springbok tour, a bomb scare, the 'occasional politician' and the shock arrival of computers. In the third bittersweet and more intimate section lyricism combines with observation to produce some powerful poems to end the collection. All the poems show Charman's ear for the spoken language and her acute awareness of the sounds, shapes, colours around us and the way they are inhabited by our emotions.
- Author BiographyJANET CHARMAN was the 1997 Writer in Residence at the University of Auckland and is the author of five previous collections.
- PrizesWinner of Montana New Zealand Book Awards: Poetry Category 2008.
- Author(s)Janet Charman
- PublisherAuckland University Press
- Date of Publication01/04/2007
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAuckland University Press
- Weight1500 g
- Width160 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine7 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
- Edition StatementReprinted edition
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $204.90New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.66New
- AU $61.69Used
- AU $94.06New
- AU $102.20New
- AU $71.40New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.59
- AU $22.44Trending at AU $24.03
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $120.94
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $91.19
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.01
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $50.60
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.