All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAt his death in 1882, Ralph Waldo Emerson was counted among the greatest poets in nineteenth-century America. This variorum edition of all the poems Emerson chose for publication during his lifetime offers readers the opportunity to situate Emerson's poetic achievement alongside his celebrated essays and to consider their interrelationship. Decades before Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson took their places in the firmament of American poets, Emerson was securely enthroned. Though his reputation as essayist w eclipses his reputation as poet, Emerson self-identified as a writer of verse and worked out his transcendental philosophy in this genre, establishing his belief in the authority of individual experience and in the essential metaphoric nature of language. Albert J. von Frank's historical introduction traces the development of Emerson the poet, considering how life events, as well as his reading of German philosophy and Sufi poetry, influenced his thought and expression. Alongside accounts of the critical reception of his poems are public and private writings that reveal Emerson's own estimation of his poetic project and achievement. The textual introduction and apparatus make transparent the theoretical and practical concerns that inform these critical texts. Also included are a chrological lists of variants and texts constituting the historical collation, tes clarifying obscure allusions, and headtes identifying sources and context.
- Author BiographyAlbert J. von Frank is Professor of English and American Studies at Washington State University. Thomas Wortham is Professor of English at the University of California, Los Angeles.
- Author(s)Ralph Waldo Emerson
- PublisherHarvard University Press
- Date of Publication03/06/2011
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintThe Belknap Press
- Content Note1 halftone
- Weight1225 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine51 mm
- Edited byAlbert J. Von Frank,Thomas Wortham
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With printed dust jacket
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.00
- AU $35.04Trending at AU $40.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.96
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.41
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.98
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.29
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.03
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.