All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn elegant translation of one of the most popular vels of its time. Rousseau's great epistolary vel, Julie, or the New Heloise, has been virtually unavailable in English since 1810. In it, Rousseau reconceptualized the relationship of the individual to the collective and articulated a new moral paradigm. The story follows the fates and smoldering passions of Julie d'Etange and St. Preux, a one-time lover who re-enters Julie's life at the invitation of her unsuspecting husband, M. de Wolmar. The complex tones of this work made it a commercial success and a continental sensation when it first appeared in 1761, and its embodiment of Rousseau's system of thought, in which feelings and intellect are intertwined, redefined the function and form of fiction for decades. As the characters negotiate a complex maze of passion and virtue, their purity of soul and honest morality reveal, as Rousseau writes in his preface, the subtleties of heart of which this work is full. A comprehensive introduction and careful antations make this vel accessible to contemporary readers, both as an embodiment of Rousseau's philosophy and as a portrayal of the tension and power inherent in domestic life.
- Author BiographyPhilip Stewart is professor of French and Literature and Director, Center for European Studies, Duke University. His books include Engraven Desires: Eros, Image, and Text in the French 18th Century (1992). Jean Vache is Associate Professor of English, Paul Valery University, Montpellier, France.
- Author(s)Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- PublisherUniversity Press of New England
- Date of Publication01/10/1997
- LanguageEnglish & French
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleThe Collected Writings of Rousseau
- Place of PublicationHanover
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDartmouth College Press
- Content Note12 illustrations, map
- Weight1089 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine42 mm
- Edited byJean Vache,Philip Stewart
- Translated byPhilip Stewart,Jean Vache
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $12.00Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $75.03
- AU $19.78Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.08Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $21.78Trending at AU $22.68
- AU $22.15Trending at AU $23.02
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.