All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $32.77Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.36Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $15.79Trending at AU $25.15
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough academics have paid much attention to contentious politics in China and elsewhere, research on the outcomes of social protests, both direct and indirect, in n-democracies is still limited. In this new work, Yongshun Cai combines original fieldwork with secondary sources to examine how social protest has become a viable method of resistance in China and, more importantly, why some collective actions succeed while others fail. Cai looks at the collective resistance of a range of social groups-peasants to workers to homeowners-and explores the outcomes of social protests in China by adopting an analytical framework that operationalizes the forcefulness of protestor action and the cost-benefit calculations of the government. He shows that a protesting group's ability to create and exploit the divide within the state, mobilize participants, or gain extra support directly affects the outcome of its collective action. Moreover, by exploring the government's response to social protests, the book addresses the resilience of the Chinese political system and its implications for social and political developments in China.
- Author BiographyYongshun Cai is Associate Professor of Political Science at Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. He is the author of State and Laid-Off Workers in Reform China: The Silence and Collective Action of the Retrenched (2006).
- Author(s)Yongshun Cai
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication17/02/2010
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Series TitleStudies of the Walter H. Shorenstein Asia-Pacific Research Center
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note27 tables, 11 figures
- Weight408 g
- Width3887 mm
- Height5817 mm
- Spine20 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.