All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionColonial Ambivalence, Cultural Authenticity, and the Limitations of Mimicry in French-Ruled West Africa, 1914-1956 offers an invative and provocative reassessment of the history and legacies of French colonial rule in West Africa between the First World War and the late 1950s. Making critical use of postcolonial and cultural theory, James E. Geva argues that the colonizers and the colonized were locked in a struggle for authority increasingly structured by competing tions of what it meant to be French or African. This book breaks new ground by demonstrating the centrality of the cultural question in the imperial encounters between France and West Africa. It maps the emergence of the French-educated elite as a social class in French West Africa as a window into the complex relationship between agency and structural context in the making of history. A disjunction developed between decolonization and liberation in the colonial liaison of France and West Africa that left colonizers and colonized trapped in a neocolonial cultural framework actualizing Frantz Fan's deepest fears about the postcolony.
- Author BiographyThe Author: James E. Genova is Assistant Professor of History at Indiana State University and Senior Lecturer in African Studies at Ohio State University. He received his Ph.D. in history from the State University of New York at Stony Brook. He has published numerous articles in professional journals and has also edited volumes.
- Author(s)James E. Genova
- PublisherPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Date of Publication01/02/2004
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleFrancophone Cultures & Literatures
- Series Part/Volume Number45
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPeter Lang Publishing Inc
- Weight570 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.51Trending at AU $111.62
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.36
- AU $35.81Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.34
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.02
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.