All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the late-nineteenth century, British travelers to the Andaman and Nicobar Islands compiled wide-ranging collections of material culture for scientific instruction and personal satisfaction. Colonial Collecting and Display follows the compelling history of a particular set of such objects, tracing their physical and conceptual transformation from objects of indigeus use to accessioned objects in a museum collection in the south of England. This first study dedicated to the historical collecting and display of the Islands' material culturesdevelops a new analysis of colonial discourse, using a material culture-led approach to reconceptualize imperial relationships between Andamanese, Nicobarese, and British communities, both in the Bay of Bengal and on British soil. It critiques established conceptions of the act of collecting, arguing for recognition of how indigeus makers and consumers impacted upon British collection practices, and querying the tion of a homogeus British approach to material culture from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- Author BiographyClaire Wintle is a Lecturer in the History of Art and Design at the University of Brighton. She holds degrees from the Universities of Manchester and Sussex and has worked in collections and public programs at the Royal Pavilion and Museums, Brighton & Hove, and National Museums Liverpool.
- Author(s)Claire Wintle
- PublisherBerghahn Books
- Date of Publication25/06/2013
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Series TitleMuseum and Collections
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBerghahn Books
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight526 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine16 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $34.87
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $30.98
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.03
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $32.21Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $34.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.