All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $72.00Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionColonial Sunset, Republican Dawn recounts one family's experiences in Ceylon over a period of 100 years that include the end of colonial rule and the transition through independence to the Republic of Sri Lanka. Set between 1900 and 2014, the book is both an intriguing memoir and a double biography of Mark and Elizabeth Bostock who lived through these dramatic times. Their account, told by Elizabeth, offers a personal family view of the changes in Sri Lanka. Opening with the birth of Mark Bostock in Colombo, a third generation Bostock in Ceylon, the book recalls his early years through to his premature demise. Mark lived a colourful life and rubbed shoulders during his days of work and play with many table people. He married Elizabeth Mills, the daughter of a rewned submariner, and their life together was full of adventure and heartache. They suffered when the family's tea estate and their beloved beach bungalow were nationalised, and in spite of these setbacks on the road to independence, retained their sense of optimism and love of life. Mark's final inspiration was the construction of an international 18 hole golf course, a legacy that will continue to celebrate the memories and achievements of the Bostock family on the island they adored. The foreword is written by Tony Lewis, former Welsh cricketer, captain of the MCC and BBC sports commentator, who first met the Bostock family during a cricket tour in Sri Lanka and has since remained a close friend of the family, sharing many a gin and tonic fuelled session of charades.
- Author(s)Elizabeth Bostock
- PublisherTroubador Publishing
- Date of Publication28/11/2015
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationMarket Harborough
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.