All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionColor speaks a powerful cultural language, conveying political, sexual, and ecomic messages that, throughout history, have revealed how we relate to ourselves and our world. This ground-breaking compilation is the first to investigate how color in fashionable and ceremonial dress has played a significant social role, indicating acceptance and exclusion, convention and subversion. From white used for pioneering feminism to the penchant for black in post-war France, and from mystical scarlet broadcloth to the horrors of arsenic-laden green fashion, this publication demonstrates that color in dress is never straightforward and is as mutable, nuanced, and varied as color itself. Divided into four thematic parts - solidarity, power, invation, and desire - each section highlights the often violent, emotional histories of color in dress across geographical, temporal and cultural boundaries. Underlying today's relaxed attitude to color lies a chromatic complexity that speaks of wars, migrations and ecomics. While ackwledging the importance that techlogy has played in the development of new dyes, the chapters explore color as a catalyst for technical invation that continues to inspire designers, artists, and performers. Bringing together cutting-edge contributions from leading scholars, it is essential reading for academics of fashion, textiles, design, cultural studies and art history.
- Author BiographyJonathan Faiers is Professor of Fashion Thinking at Winchester School of Art, University of Southampton, UK, publishes internationally on fashion and textiles, and is editor of the journal Luxury: History, Culture, Consumption. Mary Westerman Bulgarella is a consultant in the conservation, research, and display of historic textiles and dress, based in Florence, Italy and in Chicago, Illinois. She has been the Advisory Committee Coordinator of Costume Colloquium since its conception.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication17/11/2016
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBloomsbury Academic
- Content Note41 color and 20 bw illus
- Weight560 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Edited byJonathan Faiers,Mary Westerman Bulgarella
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $203.69New
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $74.22New
- AU $61.33Used
- AU $93.50New
- AU $101.60New
- AU $70.98New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.10
- AU $22.43Trending at AU $23.89
- AU $114.99Trending at AU $119.81
- AU $88.13Trending at AU $90.65
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.54
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $50.30
- AU $69.89Trending at AU $74.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.