All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book equips readers with kwledge, motivation, and strategies to rally against violence and abuse of people with disabilities.This book tackles the issue of violence and abuse of people with disabilities with a blend of boldness and sensitivity. A comprehensive volume, it presents an exploration of the problem and its causes, explores the internal and external barriers that hinder people with disabilities from taking action, describes the system of laws and agencies that work to protect and support victims and promote social justice, and offers strategies to empower individuals and help people organize to prevent and combat violence and abuse. All people with disabilities experience higher rates of violence and abuse than people without disabilities. This book addresses the problem head-on, with a focus on educating and empowering people with and without disabilities to work together to raise awareness of the problem, break down barriers, change ineffective policies, and make systems responsive to the needs of people with disabilities.
- Author BiographyDick Sobsey, Ph.D., is Professor of Educational Psychology and Director of the JP Das Developmental Disabilities Centre at the University of Alberta in Canada, where he also serves as an adjunct professor at the John Dossetor Health Ethics Centre. He has worked with children and adults with severe disabilities since 1968 as a nurse, a teacher, and a researcher. His current research explores the relationship between disability and violence. Dr. Sobsey is also the father of two children, including a teenager who has severe and multiple disabilities and is fully included in his neighborhood school.
- Author(s)Nancy M. Fitzsimons
- PublisherBrookes Publishing Co
- Date of Publication15/03/2009
- SubjectSocial Issues, Services & Welfare
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBrookes Publishing Co
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight431 g
- Width178 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Foreword byDick Sobsey
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.