Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $25.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA revelatory, indispensable collection of poems from Jane Hirshfield that centers on beauty, time, and the full embrace of an existence that time cant help but steal from our arms. Hirshfield is unsurpassed in her ability to sink into a moment s essence and exchange something of herself with its finite music and then, in seemingly simple, inevitable words, to deliver that exchange to us in poems that vibrate with form and expression perfectly united. Hirshfield s poems of discovery, ackwledgment of the difficult, and praise turn always toward deepening comprehension. Here we encounter the stealth of feeling s arrival ( as some strings, untouched, / sound when a near one is speaking. / So it was when love slipped inside us ), an anatomy of solitude ( wrong solitude vinegars the soul, / right solitude oils it ), a reflection on perishability and the sweetness its acceptance invites into our midst ( How suddenly then / the strange happiness took me, / like a man with strong hands and strong mouth ), and a muscular, unblindfolded awareness of our shared political and planetary fate. To read these startlingly true poems is to find our own feelings eloquently ensnared. Whether delving into intimately familiar moments or bringing forward some experience until w outside words, Hirshfield finds for each face of our lives its metamorphosing portrait, its particular, memorable, singing and singular name. Love in AugustWhite mothsagainst the screenin August darkness. Some clamor in envy. Some spread largeas two handsof a thief who wants to put back in your cupboardthe long-taken silver.
- Author BiographyJane Hirshfield is the author of six previous collections of poetry, a now-classic book of essays, Nine Gates: Entering the Mind of Poetry, and three books collecting the work of women poets from the past. Her awards include fellowships from the Guggenheim and Rockefeller foundations, the Academy of American Poets, and the National Endowment for the Arts; three Pushcart Prizes; the California Book Award; The Poetry Center Book Award; and other honors. Her poems appear regularly in The New Yorker, The Atlantic, and Poetry and have been included in six editions of TheBest American Poetry. Her collection Given Sugar, Given Salt was a finalist for the National Book Critics Circle Award, and After was named a Best Book of 2006 by The Washington Post, the San Francisco Chronicle, and the United Kingdom s Financial Times. She lives in the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Author(s)Jane Hirshfield
- PublisherKnopf Publishing Group
- Date of Publication05/02/2013
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKnopf Publishing Group
- Weight163 g
- Width143 mm
- Height213 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.