All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.06
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
About this product
- DescriptionLaid out in front of Blackpool Tower in England's famous seaside resort, the Comedy Carpet is the largest work of public art in Europe. Thousands of jokes and quotations by more than 850 comedians and writers from the early days of variety to the present day are set in 2200 square meters of granite and concrete in a design inspired by theater posters and bill stickers. From Tommy Cooper, Mae West and Bob Hope to Frank Carson, Groucho Marx and Ricky Gervais, the Comedy Carpet is a unique celebration of comic genius as well as an extraordinary feat of design and construction in a town that still lives and breathes laughter. Blackpool has been the British home of variety for more than a hundred years. A treasure trove of comic cultural history, with two essays, one by the artist and the other by bestselling author Graham McCann writing about the relationship between Blackpool and comedy, the book also shows the complete layout of the carpet, which was created by artist Gordon Young with designers Why Not Assorciates who helped design the typography.
- Author BiographyGordon Young was curator at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Director of the Welsh Sculpture Trust before becoming a full time artist. At the heart of his work is language; words that give form and shape to the artwork and that entice, fascinate and amuse the viewer. Graham McCann is the best selling author of books on Morecambe & Wise, Dad's Army, Frankie Howerd, Cary Grant, Terry Thomas, Woody Allen, John Le Mesurier and Marilyn Monroe.?
- PublisherBooth-Clibborn Editions
- Date of Publication01/11/2013
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBooth-Clibborn Editions
- Content Note1
- Weight1391 g
- Width248 mm
- Height296 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Foreword byGordon Young,Graham McCann
- Format DetailsWith translucent dust cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.