Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $23.95+ AU $29.00 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.58Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.66
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.32
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.16
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.17
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.51
About this product
- DescriptionFrom Gasoline Alley to Lynda Barry and beyond, this title focuses on a tradition of comic artists in Wisconsin. Who knew? Wisconsin comic artists, editors, and publishers have made both central and fringe contributions to the language, form, and content of comic strips, comic books, and other forms of this popular art. Paul Buhle traces this history, illustrated by more than two hundred reproductions, from The Gumps and Gasoline Alley - which introduced the continuity of daily life into newspaper 'funnies' - to comic book histories of Students for a Democratic Society and the Industrial Workers of the World , alternative press comics that fostered talents like Lynda Barry and James Sturm, and comic adaptations of totemic figures like Howard Zinn and Studs Terkel. Specialists and collectors will treasure this volume, and readers will find themselves educated and vastly entertained. It includes the work of Art Young, Frank O. King, Sidney Smith, Harvey Kurtzman, Bill Griffith, Sharon Rudahl, Gilbert Shelton, Howard Cruse, Alison Bechdel, Trina Robbins, Art Spiegelman, Mike Kopacki, James Sturm, and Lynda Barry. Cover of this book is by R. Crumb.
- Author BiographyPaul Buhle was a senior lecturer at Brown University and in retirement is a returnee to Madison, where he earned a Ph.D. at the University of Wisconsin. His forty published volumes include a dozen comic art volumes, five biographies, and a book series on the victims of the Hollywood Blacklist.
- Author(s)Paul Buhle
- PublisherBorderland Books
- Date of Publication15/10/2009
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintBorderland Books
- Content Note90 colour illustrations, 50 b/w illustrations
- Weight340 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.