All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.72
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.50
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $77.17
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $85.01
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.03
- AU $34.78Trending at AU $42.43
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.76
About this product
- DescriptionIn view of the increasing number of Third World countries considering the establishment of women's colleges to meet the demand for the higher education of women, presenting a case study of two key women's colleges in the Philippines. Within the context of global, national and local changes since the fall of Ferdinand Marcos in 1986, academic and administrative leaders at two prestigious women's colleges candidly discuss how their respective institutions adapted to their environments and how the colleges will fare in the future. Preferences for large, coeducational institutions; the emergence of less expensive tertiary institutions; and the downward spiral of a weak national ecomy combined to destabilized the enrollment base of these colleges. Factors unique to the Philippines including an increasing number of female overseas contract workers; struggles with national language preferences; and the growth of feminism also affected the colleges. In response, the colleges expanded their curricula, chose high-profile presidents, focused on faculty development, and acquired techlogy. Decision-markers at these colleges will have to continue in their efforts at solidifying their positions in the Philippine higher education system. The book that women's colleges worldwide must articulate their unique purposes and collaborate with other institutions to strengthen their organizations.
- Author BiographyDr. Francesca Purcell recently co-authored Women's Universities and Colleges: An International Handbook and served as a consultant for the World Bank on international higher education issues. Currently, she is an academic policy analyst at the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education.
- Author(s)Francesca B. Purcell
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication03/05/2013
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white illustrations
- Weight299 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine11 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.