All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf someone close to you has dementia (Alzheimer's Disease is the most common type) you will kw that communication gradually becomes more difficult and at times frustrating. This jargon-free book explains why this happens and how you have to rethink your whole approach by: Making key changes to the way you communicate Creating the right physical environment for good communication And bear in mind that communication in the broadest sense goes well beyond talking; there is also a wide range of n-verbal communication such as facial expression, posture and touch. The person with dementia in your life needs your help. This straightforward book will help you to acquire the knack for improving and facilitating communication that works in a wide variety of situations including: Improving conversation Finding stimulating activities Dealing with challenging situations Making important decisions Reducing stress and agitation Moving into residential care This book provides invaluable information for people helping to care for people with dementia at home and also those who do so as part of their job.
- Author BiographyStephen Miller is a speech and language therapist with a particular interest in dementia and the ways in which it can affect communication. As a student in the 1970s he worked in hospitals which were home to people with dementia. Even then he was struck by the fact that no effort was made to help patients to express their wishes or feelings or indeed to provide any stimulation for them at all. In the course of his work, happily in far more enlightened times, he worked with families, helping them to find ways of improving communication and reducing stress and frustration all round. He also gave talks to people recently diagnosed with dementia and their carers. In addition he has done voluntary work for Alzheimer Scotland.
- Author(s)Stephen Miller
- PublisherLittle, Brown Book Group
- Date of Publication07/05/2015
- SubjectCoping with Problems & Illness
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteno plate section/illustrations
- Weight144 g
- Width198 mm
- Height157 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.65Trending at AU $96.35
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.43Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.