All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat makes a magazine in South Africa promote Scandinavian unity among its immigrant readers and why does a Swedish king endorse attempts to influence pan-Scandinavian opinion through a transnational media event in Sweden, Norway and Denmark? Can portraits of exotic Lapplanders in the British press, enthusiastic accounts of the welfare state in post-war travel literature and descriptions of the liberal Nordic woman as a metaphor for a freer society in Franco Spain really be bundled together under a joint label of 'Nordicness'? How is it that despite the variety of images of the Nordic region that are circulating, we still find this recurring idea of a shared Nordic identity? These are some of the questions the current volume seeks to answer. Covering the time period from the early nineteenth century up until the present and encompassing case studies from Britain, Spain, Poland, and South Africa, as well as from the Nordic countries, contributors to the volume investigate the images that have been presented of the Nordic region in the media in and outside of the Nordic countries, how such images have been shaped by mechanisms of mediation, and the channels through which they have been distributed. The chapters address both specific cases such as media events and individual publications, as well as the structural and institutional settings for mediating the Nordic region.
- Author BiographyJonas Harvard is Manager for the Nordic Spaces research programme at the Centre for East European and Baltic Studies, SA dertA rn University, Stockholm, and Research Fellow at the Department of Humanities, Mid Sweden University. Peter Stadius is Lecturer in Nordic Studies and Culture and Area Studies at the Department for World Cultures, Helsinki University, Finland.
- Author(s)Peter Stadius
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication06/11/2013
- SubjectCultural Studies
- Series TitleThe Nordic Experience
- Series Part/Volume Number3
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAshgate Publishing Limited
- Content NoteIncludes 13 b&w illustrations
- Weight850 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Edited byDr. Jonas Harvard
- Series Edited byDr. Jonas Harvard
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.67Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.12Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.02Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.51Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.