All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCommunication has often been understood as a realm of immaterial, insubstantial phemena-images, messages, thoughts, languages, cultures, and ideologies-mediating our embodied experience of the concrete world. Communication Matters challenges this view, assembling leading scholars in the fields of Communication, Rhetoric, and English to focus on the materiality of communication. Building on the work of materialist theorists such as Gilles Deleuze, Michel Foucault, Friedrich Kittler, and Henri Lefebvre, the essays collected here examine the materiality of discourse itself and the constitutive force of communication in the production of the real. Communication Matters presents original work that rethinks communication as material and situates materialist approaches to communication within the broader materiality turn emerging in the humanities and social sciences. This collection will be of interest to researchers and postgraduate students in Media, Communication Studies, and Rhetoric. The book includes images of the digital media installations of Francesca Talenti, Professor, Department of Communication Studies, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Author BiographyJeremy Packer is Associate Professor of Communication at North Carolina State University. He is the author of Mobility Without Mayhem: Cars, Safety and Citizenship and the editor of Foucault, Cultural Studies, and Governmentality, Thinking with James Carey: Essays on Communications, Transportation, History and Secret Agents: Popular Icons Beyond James Bond. Stephen B. Crofts Wiley is Associate Professor in the Department of Communication at North Carolina State University. His work analyzes the production of space and place, focusing especially on globalization in Latin America, and has been published in Communication Theory, Cultural Studies, and Media, Culture & Society.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication09/11/2011
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleShaping Inquiry in Culture, Communication and Media Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note13 black & white halftones
- Weight492 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byJeremy Packer,Stephen B. Crofts Wiley
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.76
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.37Trending at AU $36.09
- AU $28.52Trending at AU $29.80
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.