All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor those working with children, effective communication is a crucial part of building relationships and encouraging children's emotional and intellectual development. This practical guide identifies the child and their relationship with the adult as the basis upon which real communication can be made. Topics covered include n-verbal communication, attentive listening, empathy, the part played by questions, working constructively with conflict and criticism, and communicating in groups. It also draws on the invative ideas found in social pedagogic theory and practice, such as communicating with your head, hands and heart and how to differentiate between the personal, the professional and the private in your interactions. The book contains exercises, topics for personal reflection or group discussion, and suggestions for observations. This will be an excellent source of advice and ideas for all those in the children's workforce including early years professionals, teachers, social workers, counsellors and practitioners working with children in care, including foster carers.
- Author BiographyPat Petrie is Professor of Education at the Thomas Coram Research Unit, Institute of Education, UK, where she leads the Centre for Understanding Social Pedagogy (CUSP). Her interests lie in social and educational policy and practice towards children in the UK and elsewhere, with a strong focus on social pedagogy. Her work has included research into play and childcare, services for disabled children and their families, the place of creativity and the arts in social pedagogy, and children in residential and foster care. She is part of the team at the Thomas Coram Research Unit carrying out the Department of Education-funded pilot project investigating the impact of a social pedagogic approach in residential child care. Her publications attract national and international attention.
- Author(s)Pat Petrie
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication15/04/2011
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight263 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine13 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.90Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.80Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.55Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.00Trending at AU $45.25
- AU $14.60Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.