All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCommunity-based adaptation (CBA) to climate change is based on local priorities, needs, kwledge and capacities. Early CBA initiatives were generally implemented by n-government organisations (NGOs), and operated primarily at the local level. Many used 'bottom-up' participatory processes to identify the climate change problem and appropriate responses. Small localised stand-alone initiatives are insufficient to address the scale of challenges climate change will bring, however. The causes of vulnerability - such as market or service access, or good governance - also often operate beyond the project level. Larger organisations and national governments have therefore started to implement broader CBA programmes, which provide opportunities to scale up responses and integrate CBA into higher levels of policy and planning. This book shows that it is possible for CBA to remain centred on local priorities, but t necessarily limited to work implemented at the local level. Some chapters address the issue of mainstreaming CBA into government policy and planning processes or into city or sectoral level plans (e.g. on agriculture). Others look at how gender and children's issues should be mainstreamed into adaptation planning itself, and others describe how tools can be applied, and finance delivered for effective mainstreaming. This book was published as a special issue of Climate and Development.
- Author BiographyHannah Reid is a Research Associate at the International Institute for Environment and Development. She has over thirteen years of experience working on climate change and development, with particular focus on how to help those who are most vulnerable to climate change cope with its impacts, and ecosystem-based approaches to adaptation.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication19/10/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Weight521 g
- Width219 mm
- Height276 mm
- Edited byHannah Reid
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
- AU $16.96Trending at AU $23.43
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.