All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn many traditional societies, certain resources are held in common, with their use and disposition controlled by the community collectively. Such common-pool resources have come to play a significant element in programs of environmental preservation in Asia, and for this reason historical changes in arrangements for controlling them are of considerable importance. Through case studies from Japan, Korea, Thailand, India and Bhutan, this volume examines attitudes toward common-pool resources in different local contexts, with a particular emphasis on forests and policies relating to environmental conservation. The authors are specialists on the regions they study who use historical documents in local languages along with data collected during long-term fieldwork. Their conclusions raise questions about understandings of natural property resources based on dichotomous frameworks like modern versus traditional societies , state versus community and commercialization versus subsistence ecomies . The case studies indicate that in pre-modern and early modern Asia natural resources were frequently under free-access regimes, and that where systems of control existed, subsequent institutional changes involved a variety of sequences that cant be summarized readily within a simple modernist framework.
- Author BiographyHaruka Yanagisawa is Professor Emeritus at the University of Tokyo, Japan. He was awarded the Okita Memorial Prize for International Development Research in 2014.
- PublisherNUS Press
- Date of Publication30/08/2015
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationSingapore
- Country of PublicationSingapore
- ImprintNUS Press
- Weight525 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byHaruka Yanagisawa
- Introduction byHaruka Yanagisawa
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $78.84Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.05Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.