All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Hudson's Bay Company was one of the great merchant companies. Granted sole trading rights to a huge part what is w Canada they were coerced in the mid nineteenth century to set up a colonial administration on Vancouver Island to protect British interests at a time of growing expansionism from America to the south and possible threats from a Russian Alaska to the rth. 'Company, Crown and Colony' tells the story of the challenges they faced. Drawing on rich archival resources the author provides a detailed account of this turbulent period, revealing the difficulties faced by a leading merchant company as they sought to resolve their conflicting interests of commerce and settlement in a complex situation, and providing fresh and lively insights into the emergence of a region of North America that is today one of the principal commercial centres of Canada.
- Author BiographyStephen Royle is Professor of Island Geography and Director of the Centre of Canadian Studies at Queen's University, Belfast. A Member of the Royal Irish Academy, he is the author of a number of books including 'The Company's Island' (I.B.Tauris, 2007).
- Author(s)Stephen Royle
- PublisherI.B.Tauris & Co Ltd
- Date of Publication30/11/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note16 bw integrated illustrations
- Weight640 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine33 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
- AU $126.09New
Management: the Essentials by Mary Coulter, Megan Woods, Stephen Robbins, David De Cenzo (Paperback, 2015)
- AU $111.71New
- AU $93.44Used
- AU $101.53New
- AU $78.95New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.90Trending at AU $82.05
- AU $87.90Trending at AU $89.13
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $78.49
- AU $38.81Trending at AU $50.27
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $74.17
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.86
- AU $21.20Trending at AU $23.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.