All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the site of crossings of colonizers, settlers, merchants, and goods, island nations such as Taiwan have seen a rich confluence of cultures, where peoples and languages were either forced to mix or did so voluntarily, due largely to colonial conquest and their crucial role in world ecomy. Through an examination of socio-cultural phemena, Comparatizing Taiwan situates Taiwan globally, comparatively, and relationally to bring out the nation's innate richness. This book examines Taiwan in relation to other islands, cultures, or nations in terms of culture, geography, history, politics, and ecomy. Comparisons include China, Korea, Canada, Hong Kong, Macau, Ireland, Malaysia, Japan, New Zealand, South Africa, the United States and the Caribbean, and these comparisons present a number of different issues, alongside a range of sometimes divergent implications. By exploring Taiwan's many relationalities, material as well as symbolic, over a significant historical and geographical span, the contributors move to expand the horizons of Taiwan studies and reveal the valuable insights that can be obtained by viewing nations, societies and cultures in comparison. Through this process, the book offers crucial reflections on how to compare and how to study small nations. This truly interdisciplinary book will be welcomed by students and scholars interested in Taiwan studies, Siphone studies, comparative cultural studies, postcolonial studies, and literary studies.
- Author BiographyShu-mei Shih is Hong-Yin and Suet-Fong Chan Professor of Chinese at the University of Hong Kong, and Professor of Comparative Literature, Asian Languages and Cultures, and Asian American Studies at the University of California, Los Angeles, USA. Ping-hui Liao is Chuan-liu Professor of Literary and Critical Studies at the University of California, San Diego, USA.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2014
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleRoutledge Contemporary China Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note4 black & white illustrations, 2 black & white tables, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byPing-hui Liao,Shu-mei Shih
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $33.32New
- AU $30.40New
- AU $20.46New
- AU $30.87New
- AU $21.83New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $10.59Trending at AU $13.66
- AU $60.90Trending at AU $63.18
- AU $49.19Trending at AU $52.81
- AU $20.89Trending at AU $24.28
- AU $28.30Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $44.93Trending at AU $46.37
- AU $18.77Trending at AU $25.22
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.