Compass and a Camera: A Year in Vietnam by Steven Burchik (Paperback / softback, 2014)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $26.97Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $28.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith a compass to direct him in his job as a forward observer and a personal camera to document his experiences-and keep him connected to his creative side-Vietnam veteran Steven Burchik was lucky eugh to make it home and years later decided to write about the most challenging year of his life. Like any experience, his year spent with the First Infantry Division stationed in the rice paddies near Saigon included good times as well as bad. He candidly recalls how, although he believed communism to be a serious threat in the world, he soon learned that a guerilla war is a difficult one to fight, and survival rather than victory quickly became his focus. But he also remembers the exhilaration of helicopter rides over serpentine rivers and the time he introduced village kids to a gumball machine. A unique memoir of the war, Compass and a Camera pulls t only from Burchik's memories, but also from the daily letters he wrote to his fiancee (she kept every single one) and includes numerous photographs from his collection of over four thousand. The images alone make this book a must-have for any history buff or fellow veteran.
- Author BiographySteven Burchik grew up in New York City and earned his bachelor's degree from Manhattan College during the turbulent 1960s. He worked his way through school, including a stint at the New York Daily News, and remained active on campus-even starting a second student newspaper to provide an outlet for students to voice different views. After graduating, he entered the US Army at the peak of the Vietnam War. He trained at various bases in the United States then spent a year in the rice paddies northeast of Saigon in the role of a forward observer as a sergeant with the First Infantry Division. He later earned his MBA from Michigan State University and had a successful career as a marketing executive and entrepreneur in the food industry. Married with grown children, Burchik enjoys pursuing photography and sailing on San Francisco Bay. Compass and a Camera, his memoir of his Vietnam War experience, is his first book.
- Author(s)Steven Burchik
- PublisherSharlin-K Press
- Date of Publication07/11/2014
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectBiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSharlin-K Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.22
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.26
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.54
- AU $22.32Trending at AU $36.99
- AU $40.87Trending at AU $45.02
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.78
- AU $36.61Trending at AU $37.24
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.