All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $43.48
- AU $70.98Trending at AU $87.00
- AU $62.89Trending at AU $76.73
- AU $78.98Trending at AU $84.53
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.58
- AU $34.81Trending at AU $42.19
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $24.62
About this product
- DescriptionToday, institutional leaders face numerous struggles: intervention from boards of trustees, alumni, and state legislators; decline in financial support from the states; and competition in an increasingly global marketplace. While it is agreed that effective governance structures allow institutions to respond creatively to these challenges, how best to allocate control in order to maximize institutional efficiency, preserve academic freedom, and ensure institutional identity remains unclear. Increasingly, administrators look to n-academic institutions for governance and management strategies. In Competing Conceptions of Academic Governance, William G. Tierney brings together faculty members, administrators, and policy experts to discuss differing views of academic governance at institutional, state, and international levels. Topics include the effects of globalization and the prospect of international accreditation; balancing the entrepreneurial and philosophical goals of higher education; the interaction between state governments and public universities; and the conflicting interests and roles of boards of trustees, administrators, and faculty. Carefully weighing various models and strategies, Competing Conceptions of Academic Governance provides new ways of understanding and addressing the changes that are transforming higher education.
- Author BiographyWilliam G. Tierney is the Wilbur-Kieffer Professor of Higher Education and director of the Center for Higher Education Policy Analysis at the University of Southern California. He is the editor of The Responsive University: Restructuring for High Performance, also available from Johns Hopkins.
- PublisherJohns Hopkins University Press
- Date of Publication07/09/2004
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationBaltimore, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintJohns Hopkins University Press
- Content Note4, 4 black & white line drawings
- Weight528 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byWilliam G. Tierney
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
- Interest AgeFrom 17
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.