All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPreventing the spread of weapons of mass destruction (WMD) is an urgent national and international security objective. How to realize this goal is a controversial matter, though. Chemical and biological weapons and missile techlogy are threats to peace equaled only by nuclear weapons. Yet for the grave dangers they pose, and despite the intense alarm expressed over the proliferation of n-nuclear WMD over the past decade, scholarly studies of national endeavors to stop the spread of these weapons is scant. Cooper remedies this by developing conceptual and rmative frameworks to better understand national n-proliferation efforts, then examines competing U.S. and Australian strategies, respectively, of capability denial, n-possession rm building and consequence management. While t wholly incompatible, these competing strategies often impede one ather's progress and illuminate larger fissures in Western n-proliferation policies; fissures that ultimately may splinter international coordination and enervate future attempts to prevent the pernicious multiplication of WMDs. Based on extensive primary research, including hundreds of previously classified documents, and interviews with dozens of present and past officials ranging from desk officers to cabinet ministers, Cooper's book will appeal to anybody interested in the issues of implementing effective n-proliferation policies. Policy analysts and scholars alike will benefit from the scholarly account written by a U.S. arms control expert.
- Author BiographyDAVID A. COOPER is Director at of Nonproliferation Policy, U.S. Department of Defense (Office of the Secretary of Defense) and Adjunct Associate Professor of International Affairs at the Walsh School of Foreign Service, Georgetown University.
- Author(s)David A. Cooper
- Date of Publication30/11/2001
- SubjectInternational Relations
- Series TitlePraeger Security International
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintPraeger Publishers Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight571 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $38.44Trending at AU $48.97
- AU $35.07Trending at AU $36.68
- AU $27.99Trending at AU $34.95
- AU $22.22Trending at AU $31.05
- AU $29.06Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $24.30
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $23.38
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.