CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $18.97Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionThe widespread use of nconventional treatments, or complementary and alternative medicine (CAM), and the increasing evidence supporting their therapeutic benefits call for a concerted scientific effort to integrate treatments that work into mainstream medicines. Answering that call is the groundbreaking Complementary and Alternative Treatments in Mental Health Care, a concise, practical reference that reviews the many CAM approaches used in North America and Europe to treat -- or self-treat -- mental health problems, and the history and rationale for a variety of CAM treatments, including the risks and benefits of their integration into mainstream mental health care. Two dozen contributors with both conventional and nconventional expertise present current information about safe, effective mental health treatments -- including herbals and other natural products, stress management, homeopathy, Ayurveda, and traditional Chinese medicine -- that have t yet been fully examined or endorsed by the institutions of conventional biomedicine. This book: * Covers background issues, including conceptual and historical foundations, emerging ideas and trends, safety issues, potential drug interactions and adverse effects, and medical-legal issues pertaining to use of nconventional treatments in mental health care.* Reviews the evidence and offers practical clinical guidelines for the most widely used nconventional treatments. Twelve chapters cover specific nconventional modalities or alternative professional systems of medicine currently used to treat mental illness, addressing historical uses of the specified modality, significant recent research findings, unresolved safety issues, and evidence supporting use of the specified approach in common psychiatric disorders, from major depressive and bipolar disorder, schizophrenia, and generalized anxiety disorder to obsessive-compulsive disorder, dementia, and sleep and substance abuse disorders. Practical clinical applications of complementary and alternative approaches are discussed throughout the book.* Closes with three appendixes and a subject and author index. Appendix A ranks evidence for the various treatment modalities by major psychiatric disorder and is cross-referenced with the material in Part II. Appendix B lists important Web sites, textbooks, professional associations, and other resources. Appendix C contains a glossary of key terms used in complementary and alternative medicine. Written for both conventionally and nconventionally trained mental health care professionals, Complementary and Alternative Treatments in Mental Health Care provides both an ideal reference for clinicians whose patients inquire about the uses of many CAM therapies and a critical, balanced review of the nconventional modalities most widely used in Western countries to treat mental or emotional problems.
- Author BiographyJames H. Lake, M.D., has a private practice in Monterey, California, where he combines psychotherapy and evidence-based Western and complementary treatments for the spectrum of psychiatric disorders. Dr. Lake chairs the American Psychiatric Association's Caucus on Complementary, Alternative, and Integrative Approaches in Mental Health Care. David Spiegel, M.D., is Willson Professor and Associate Chair of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at Stanford University School of Medicine, and Medical Director of the Center for Integrative Medicine at Stanford University Medical Center, Palo Alto, California.
- PublisherAmerican Psychiatric Association Publishing
- Date of Publication19/12/2006
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationVA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAmerican Psychiatric Press Inc.
- Content Note1 halftones, 5 line drawings, 29 tables
- Weight662 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDavid Spiegel,James H. Lake
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.