All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionCommunities are embracing a new and safer way to build streets for everyone - even as they struggle to change decades of rules, practice, and politics that prioritise cars. They have discovered that changing the design of a single street is t eugh: they must upend the way transportation agencies operate. Completing Our Streets begins with the story of how the complete streets movement united bicycle riders, transportation practitioners and agencies, public health leaders, older people, and smart growth advocates to dramatically re-frame the discussion of transportation safety. Next, it explores why the transportation field has been so resistant to change - and how the movement has broken through to create a new multi-modal approach. In Completing Our Streets, Barbara McCann, explains that the movement is t about street design. Instead, practitioners and activists have changed the way projects are built by focusing on three strategies: reframe the conversation; build a broad base of political support; and provide a clear path to a multi-modal process. McCann shares stories of practitioners in cities and towns who have embraced these strategies to fundamentally change the way transportation projects are chosen, planned, and built. The complete streets movement is based around a simple idea: streets should be safe for people of all ages and abilities, whether they are walking, driving, bicycling, or taking the bus. Completing Our Streets gives practitioners and activists the strategies, tools, and inspiration needed to translate this idea into real and lasting change in their communities.
- Author BiographyBarbara McCann served as the founding Executive Director of the National Complete Streets Coalition and Director of Information and Research at Smart Growth America (SGA), where she authored the report Measuring the Health Effects of Sprawl. McCann is also a co-author of Sprawl Costs and editor of The Option of Urbanism by Chris Leinberger.
- Author(s)Barbara McCann
- PublisherIsland Press
- Date of Publication25/11/2013
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Place of PublicationWashington
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIsland Press
- Content Note36 photos, 2 figures
- Weight431 g
- Width155 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $39.20Trending at AU $51.50
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $50.62Trending at AU $53.30
- AU $32.81Trending at AU $40.84
- AU $31.97Trending at AU $39.99
- AU $19.57Trending at AU $23.96
- AU $32.04Trending at AU $45.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.