All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhen we think of composers like Mozart or Beethoven, we usually envision an isolated artist separate from the orchestra - someone alone in a study, surrounded by staff paper - and in Europe and America this image generally has been accurate. For most of Japan's musical history, however, such role existed - composition and performance were deeply intertwined. Only when Japan began to embrace Western culture in the late nineteenth century did the role of the composer emerge. In Composing Japanese Musical Modernity, Bonnie C. Wade uses an investigation of this new musical role to offer new insights t just into Japanese music but Japanese modernity at large. Wade examines the history of composers in Japanese society, looking at the creative and ecomic opportunities that have sprung up around them - or that they forged - during Japan's astonishingly fast modernization. She shows that modernist Japanese composers have t bought into the high modernist concept of the automous artist, instead remaining connected to the people. Articulating Japanese modernism in this way, Wade tells a larger story of international musical life, of the spaces in which tradition and modernity are able to meet and, ultimately, where modernity itself has been made.
- Author BiographyBonnie C. Wade is professor of music at the University of California, Berkeley. She is the author of many books, including Imaging Sound: An Ethnomusicological Study of Music, Art, and Culture in Mughal India, also published by the University of Chicago Press, and, most recently, Music in Japan: Experiencing Music, Expressing Culture.
- Author(s)Bonnie C. Wade
- PublisherThe University of Chicago Press
- Date of Publication11/02/2014
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleChicago Studies in Ethnomusicology
- Place of PublicationChicago, IL
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Chicago Press
- Content Note1 halftone
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $99.00Trending at AU $101.34
- AU $73.99Trending at AU $79.83
- AU $104.88Trending at AU $108.49
- AU $67.99Trending at AU $71.54
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.88
- AU $95.88Trending at AU $99.78
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $112.50
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.