All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor the neuroscientist or psychologist who cringes at the sight of mathematical formulae and whose eyes glaze over at terms like differential equations, linear algebra, vectors, matrices, Bayes' rule, and Boolean logic, this book just might be the therapy needed. - Anjan Chatterjee, Professor of Neurology, University of Pennsylvania Anderson provides a gentle introduction to computational aspects of psychological science, managing to respect the reader's intelligence while also being completely unintimidating. Using carefully-selected computational demonstrations, he guides students through a wide array of important approaches and tools, with little in the way of prerequisites...I recommend it with enthusiasm. - Asohan Amarasingham, The City University of New York This unique, self-contained and accessible textbook provides an introduction to computational modelling neuroscience accessible to readers with little or background in computing or mathematics. Organized into thematic sections, the book spans from modelling integrate and firing neurons to playing the game Rock, Paper, Scissors in ACT-R. This n-technical guide shows how basic kwledge and modern computers can be combined for interesting simulations, progressing from early exercises utilizing spreadsheets, to simple programs in Python. Key Features include: *Interleaved chapters that show how traditional computing constructs are simply disguised versions of the spread sheet methods. *Mathematical facts and tation needed to understand the modelling methods are presented at their most basic and are interleaved with biographical and historical tes for contex. *Numerous worked examples to demonstrate the themes and procedures of cognitive modelling. An excellent text for postgraduate students taking courses in research methods, computational neuroscience, computational modelling, cognitive science and neuroscience. It will be especially valuable to psychology students.
- Author BiographyBritt Anderson graduated from the University of Southern California School of Medicine and trained in Neurology at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas. Subsequently, he received a PhD in Brain Science from Brown University. Since 2007 he has been a faculty member in the Dept of Psychology and a member of the Centre for Theoretical Neuroscience at the University of Waterloo, Canada.
- Author(s)Britt Anderson
- PublisherSAGE Publications Ltd
- Date of Publication06/01/2014
- SubjectClinical Medicine: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintSAGE Publications Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight408 g
- Width170 mm
- Height242 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.