All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAppropriate for all introductory-to-intermediate courses in computer networking, the Internet, or Internet applications; readers need background in networking, operating systems, or advanced mathematics. Leading networking authority Douglas Comer presents a wide-ranging, self-contained tour of the concepts, principles, and techlogies that enable today's Internet to support applications ranging from web browsing to telephony and multimedia. Comer begins by illuminating the applications and facilities offered by today's Internet. Next, he systematically introduces the underlying network techlogies and protocols that make them possible. With these concepts and techlogies established, he introduces several of the most important contemporary issues faced by network implementers and managers, including quality of service, Internet telephony, multimedia, network security, and network management. Comer has carefully designed this book to support both top-down and bottom-up teaching approaches. Students need background in operating systems, and sophisticated math: Comer relies throughout on figures, drawings, examples, and analogies, t mathematical proofs. Teaching and Learning Experience This program will provide a better teaching and learning experience-for you and your students. *Broad Coverage of Key Concepts and Principles, Presented in a Techlogy-independent Fashion: Comer focuses on imparting kwledge that students will need regardless of which techlogies emerge or become obsolete.*Flexible Organization that Supports both Top-down and Bottom-up Teaching Approaches: Chapters may be sequenced to accommodate a wide variety of course needs and preferences. *An Accessible Presentation that Resonates with Students: Comer relies throughout on figures, drawings, examples, and analogies, t mathematical proofs.*Keep Your Course Current: Content is refreshed to provide the most up-to-date information on new techlogies for your course.
- Author BiographyDr. Douglas Comer is an internationally recognized expert on TCP/IP protocols, computer networking, and the Internet. One of the researchers who contributed to the Internet as it was being formed in the late 1970s and 1980s, he was a member of the Internet Architecture Board, the group responsible for guiding the Internet's development. He was also chairman of the CSNET technical committee, a member of the CSNET executive committee, and chairman of DARPA's Distributed Systems Architecture Board. Comer has consulted for industry on the design of computer networks. In addition to giving talks in US universities, each year Comer lectures to academics and networking professionals around the world. Comer's operating system, XINU, and implementation of TCP/IP protocols (both documented in his textbooks), have been used in commercial products. Comer is a Distinguished Professor of Computer Science at Purdue University. He is currently on leave from Purdue, serving as VP of Research Collaboration at Cisco Systems. Recently, Comer has taught courses on networking, internetworking, computer architecture, and operating systems. He has developed innovative labs that provide students with the opportunity to gain hands-on experience with operating systems, networks, and protocols. In addition to writing a series of best-selling technical books that have been translated into 16 languages, he served as the North American editor of the journal Software - Practice and Experience for 20 years. Comer is a fellow of the ACM. For additional information, visit his web site.
- Author(s)Douglas E. Comer
- PublisherPearson Education (US)
- Date of Publication02/01/2014
- SubjectComputing: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationNew Jersey
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAddison-Wesley Educational Publishers Inc
- Out-of-print date15/01/2015
- Weight1040 g
- Width178 mm
- Height232 mm
- Spine29 mm
- Edition Statement6th edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.