All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis series is for people--adults and teenagers--who are interested in computer programming because it's fun. The three volumes use the Logo programming language as the vehicle for an exploration of computer science from the perspective of symbolic computation and artificial intelligence. Logo is a dialect of Lisp, a language used in the most advanced research projects in computer science, especially in artificial intelligence. Throughout the series, functional programming techniques (including higher order functions and recursion) are emphasized, but traditional sequential programming is also used when appropriate. In the second edition, the first two volumes have been rearranged so that illustrative case studies appear with the techniques they demonstrate. Volume 1 includes a new chapter about higher order functions, and the recursion chapters have been reorganized for greater clarity. Volume 2 includes a new tutorial chapter about macros, an exclusive capability of Berkeley Logo, and two new projects. Throughout the series, the larger program examples have been rewritten for greater readability by more extensive use of data abstraction. In Volume 3 Beyond Programming , the reader learns that computer science includes t justprogramming computers, but also more formal ways to think about computing, such as automata theory and discrete mathematics. In contrast to most books on those subjects, this volume presents the ideas in the form of concrete, usable computer programs rather than as abstract proofs. Examples include a program to translate from the declarative Regular Expression formalism into the executable Finite State Machine tation, and a Pascal compiler written in Logo. The Logo programs in these books and the author's free Berkeley Logo interpreter are available via the Internet or on diskette.
- Author(s)Brian Harvey
- PublisherMIT Press Ltd
- Date of Publication30/04/1997
- SubjectComputing: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge, Mass.
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMIT Press
- Content Note56
- Weight726 g
- Width216 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
- Interest AgeFrom 18
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $27.94
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.51
- AU $35.82Trending at AU $40.79
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.98
- AU $17.16Trending at AU $18.34
- AU $57.88Trending at AU $63.53
- AU $19.95Trending at AU $20.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.