All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIsaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel share much in common. They address the pivotal times and topics associated with the last stages of the monarchical history of Israel, and with the development of new forms of communal and religious life through exile and beyond. One important structural component of all three books is a substantial section which concerns itself with a range of foreign nations, commonly called the Oracles against the Nations , which form the focus of this book. These chapters together present the most up-to-date scholarship on the oracles - an oft-neglected but significant area in the study of the prophetic literature. The particular characteristics of Isaiah, Jeremiah (both Masoretic Text and Septuagint versions), and Ezekiel, are discussed showcasing the unique issues pertinent to each book and the diverse methods used to address them. These evident differences aside, the Oracles Against the Nations are employed as a springboard in order to begin the work of tracing similarities between the texts. By focusing on these unique yet common sections, a range of interrelated themes and issues of both content and method become ticeable: for example, though t exhaustively, pattern, structure, language, comparative history, archaeology, sociology, politics, literature, imagery, theme, theology, and hermeneutical issues related to today's context. As a result this collection presents a range of cutting-edge approaches on these key prophetic books, and will provide a basis for further comparative study and reflection.
- Author BiographyElse K. Holt is Associate Professor in the Department of Culture and Society at the University of Aarhus, Denmark. Hyun Chul Paul Kim is Professor of Hebrew Bible, Williams Chair of Biblical Studies, at Methodist Theological Seminary in Ohio, USA. Andrew Mein is Tutor in Old Testament at Wescott House, Cambridge, UK, and series editor of The Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies.
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication19/05/2016
- SubjectChristianity: Bibles & Liturgy
- Series TitleThe Library of Hebrew Bible/Old Testament Studies
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintT.& T.Clark Ltd
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight434 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine16 mm
- Edited byAndrew Mein,Else Kragelund Holt,Hyun Chul Paul Kim
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.87
- AU $23.22Trending at AU $28.84
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.71
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.55
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.93
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.31
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $50.31
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.