All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionConflicts over natural resources abound in India, where much of the population is dependent on these resources for their livelihoods. Issues of governance and management are complicated by the competing claims of parallel legal systems, including state, customary, religious, project and local laws. Whereas much has been written about property rights, this unique collection takes a legal anthropological perspective to explore how the coexistence and interaction between multiple legal orders provide bases for claiming property rights. It examines how hybrid legal institutions have developed over time in India and how these impact on justice in the governance and distribution of natural resources. The book brings together original case studies that offer fresh perspectives on the governance of forests, water, fisheries and agricultural land in a diverse range of social and spatial contexts. This brand new research provides a timely and persuasive overview of the fundamental role of parallel legal systems in shaping how people manage natural resources. It will be of interest to scholars and practitioners of environmental law, property law, environmental politics, anthropology, sociology and geography.
- Author BiographyMaarten Bavinck is Associate Professor in the Department of Geography, Planning and International Development Studies at the University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, and president of the International Commission on Legal Pluralism. Amalendu Jyotishi is Associate Professor at Amrita School of Business, Amrita University, India and Coordinator of Asian Initiatives on Legal Pluralism.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication28/10/2014
- SubjectEnvironment & Planning
- Series TitleRoutledge Explorations in Environmental Studies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note3 black & white illustrations, 7 black & white tables, 3 black & white line drawings
- Weight453 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edited byAmalendu Jyotishi,Maarten Bavinck
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.60
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.92
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.49
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.21
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $40.07
- AU $34.17Trending at AU $35.13
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $27.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.